Thursday, March 20, 2008

small town life

Today our school's spring break started...for the students. The teachers spent all day in parent-teacher conferences.

Usually I like these conferences, and this time I had very few problems to go over and all my kids are doing very well.

I was exhausted by lunch.

I finished up some paperwork and some of my own conferences with my kids' teachers and then went to pick up my kids at their grandparents' house.

Where my youngest brother was hanging out, talking strategy and solutions with my parents, concerning a truly horrendous work situation that he is enduring. We were talking a bit and in the course of the conversation, we discovered that his jerk of a boss is in fact the dad of one of my kindergarten students.

Huh. A small town, indeed.

I wish I could figure out how to use this to my brother's advantage, but other than threatening to teach the kid the wrong addition facts or something, I can't think of anything. I'd mention something to the boss, however I've met him exactly once. He's the jerk who tried to crush my hand to splinters when he shook it.

Nice, nice guy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember that guy! Funny how jerkhood inhabits many areas of a jerk's life.

(At least you're not married to him... and neither is your brother...)Life has a silver lining!

maybaby said...

You know, I hadn't thought of it that way. You're right, and I'm very grateful that soon he'll just be an amusing anecdote in our family history.

And perhaps the best revenge is having to be the subject of a party story told over and over by a family of story tellers. Of Irish descent.

Heh.

Anonymous said...

And of course, we all know why some men feel the need to be bullies....big egos, small...er....yes, well, you know. Heck, he's probably the "brace yourself" type. Poor wife.

maybaby said...

And he and his wife have 5 kids now. And when she was recently in the hospital, he refused to take a few minutes off work to drive his own frelling kids to school, so she had to call neighbors and friends to get the kids to and from school.

Unfreakingbelievable.